Thursday, May 3, 2012

strawberry fields forever

It's the beginning of may,
and with that means summer is right around the corner.
( and of course, my birthday. wink wink.)

Yesterday my mom and I went to a local produce store and they were selling strawberries for .50 a package ! I just love love love strawberries.
Now last year my Grandma had bought some Michigan strawberries from a farmers market
and they were by far the best strawberries that I had ever had,
and at the same time I was mad because it ruined strawberries for me.
I expected every berry to taste just as wonderful.

I digress.

My first thought to use the strawberries was a traditional strawberry pie,
but my dear love doesn't like flour crusts. So I was trying to figure out something with a graham cracker crust and that's how this fluffy strawberry cream pie was born.

Here's what you need.

1 cup of strawberries diced
1 cup of strawberries sliced
1 container of cool whip
1 package of strawberry jello
1 graham cracker pie crust
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup water
ice cubes



Just look at how juicy red they are. mmmmm

in a large bowl, add your strawberry jello, and 3/4 cup of boiling water.
whisk until jello is completely dissolved.


take one cup of cold water and add enough ice to make it 1 cup


Like so.



Add the icy water to the jello,
whisk for a minute or two,
and remove any ice that didn't dissolve.
Add your diced strawberries.


Start adding your cool whip.
add about a 1/4 of it at a time so you can blend it in.
you want it to be smooth and creamy.

pour it in your pie shell.
Since I added probably more than 1 cup of diced strawberries,
it didn't all fit in the crust.
I just poured whatever didn't fit into some ramekins.
Cover the pie, and refrigerate for 2-4 hours

After its been chilling, go ahead and add your sliced strawberries.
If you add the strawberries before its chilled, the strawberries may sink :(
 


Slice it up and sip on some iced tea with a lemon wedge
and think about summer ahead.



I promise you'll love it.
I will surely be making it again, and probably with different variations.
maybe pineapple, raspberry, or peach.


Hope every one has a wonderful weekend.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking your time to leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you !